[tlhIngan Hol] Timeless (minor spoilers for season 2 finale)

Lieven L. Litaer levinius at gmx.de
Thu May 31 22:54:10 PDT 2018

Am 01.06.2018 um 01:59 schrieb Daniel Dadap:
> In the episode “Chinatown” of the NBC time-travel series “Timeless”, one of the plot elements was that a character sent a message forward in time by writing a message “in Klingon” that ended up in a photograph in a history book. The message was a set of longitude/latitude coordinates and the warning “don’t come”.

Details and screenshots can be found on the page of the Klingon Language
Wiki: http://www.klingonwiki.net/En/Timeless

> Out of universe, the obvious explanation is

I have not seen that episode, so my question was: how do they explain
it? Do they say "this IS klingon and means do not come" or do they say
"It's written with klingon letters and says so" or what?

> character who wrote the Klingon message knew pIqaD but was shaky on vocabulary, and without access to TKD, which wouldn’t be written for another 100+ years, did the next best thing and spelled out a message in English using pIqaD.

Well, in universe it would still make sense to do it that way. I've
regulalry seen people using pIqaD as a "secret font" just writing in
english using the letters.

> it was way better than “Kuntar pateeky maya. Al fook soo.”

For anyone interested, this is from the movie "Garden State", spoken by
Jim Parsons who at that time certainly did not know he would ever speak
Klingon again. :-)

See
http://www.klingonwiki.net/En/GardenState

--