[tlhIngan Hol] mughmeH laH vs mughlaHghach

Aurélie Demonchaux demonchaux.aurelie at gmail.com
Wed May 16 13:40:02 PDT 2018

Thank you both mIp'av and SuStel for your replies!

When I started the thread, I had in mind more the ability of the
translator, not the "translatability" of texts, but this is indeed a very
interesting question!

I'd like to contribute a few remarks to the debate after reading your
messages.

1/ I would avoid writing {ghItlhvam mughlu'meH laH}, I think its meaning
may be ambiguous or at least not very easy to figure out, perhaps because a
reader may be tempted to associate the noun "laH" with the indefinite
subject conveyed by {-lu'}. Also, a manuscript in and of itself cannot have
"abilities".

2/ But there can exist a "possibility" for a manuscript to be translated.
What do you make of {ghItlhvam mughlu'meH DuH} ?

>> As in: ghItlhvam mughlu'meH DuH tu'lu'be' = There is no possibility to
translate this manuscript / it is impossible to translate this manuscript

>> of course a simpler (safer) way to say it could be {ghItlhvam mughlaH
pagh} = no one can translate this manuscript

3/ For the sentence "no one has figured out how to translate this
manuscript", I would not consider using {laH}:

{ghItlhvam mughlu'meH mIw Sam pagh} = no one has found a way for this
manuscript to be translated

Note: when the English uses "how" in a sentence, I often consider {mIw} as
a possible translation.

4/ As for the contexts when we refer to the ability as pertaining to a
specific person (the subject), while in terms of semantics the 2 options
seem identical, there may be some situations where it is grammatically
preferrable to choose one over the other.

Example: for "they are studying the linguists' ability to translate", I
would use {mughlaHghach}:

Hol tejpu' mughlaHghach luHaD

This is because, with {mughmeH laH}, placement of {Hol tej} may be
problematic and possibly ambiguous to the reader:

(?) Hol tejpu' mughmeH laH luHaD: may be misunderstood as "They are
studying the ability to translate the linguists"

(?) mughmeH Hol tejpu' laH luHaD: I am uncomfortable with introducing
anything between {laH} and its purpose clause - not to mention the fact
that {Hol tej} is aready composed of 2 nouns. So which noun goes with
"mughmeH"? It could be misunderstood as "They are studying the ability of
the scientists (studying) the language-for-translating".

nuq boQub? :)

~ghItlhjaj

PS: SuStel, thanks for the link above to the post by Dr Okrand, very
insightful!