[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: QIl

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Fri May 18 08:17:11 PDT 2018

Klingon word: QIl
Part of speech: verb
Definition: be desperate
Source: Email from Lieven 2018-02-06

(Lieven < MO, 2/05/2018):  {QIl} v. "be desperate", as when there's no way out, they have nothing to lose. This includes ideas like last-ditch, do-or-die, hopeless, doomed.

(Lieven < MO, 2/07/2018):  My interpretation of desperate in the third sentence ('You were desperate to save us') is a little different.  Here I think it means something more like "eager for, longing for, in real need of, having a great desire for" and so on.  For this, you could get by with the suffixes {-nIS} and {-qu'}:  {jutoDnISqu'} (or {chetoDnISqu'}; or perhaps with {neHqu'}:  {jutoD DaneHqu'} (or {chetoD boneHqu'}).

SEE ALSO:
neH 		want (v)
tul 		hope (v)
jIn 		wish (v)