[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: tuch rItwI'

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Wed May 2 08:42:02 PDT 2018

Klingon word: tuch rItwI'
Part of speech: noun
Definition: prophet
Source: Email from Lieven 2018-01-01

tuch  		future,  the future (as a whole) (n)
rIt  		summon (v)

(Lieven, 1/01/2018):  Next, we talked about a prophet. Not the religious person like Jesus or Mohammed, but more some kind of a person who seems to be able to see or know things that others can't. Okrand forwarded this from Maltz:
      This is a {tuch rItwI'} (or, if the context is clear, {rItwI'} for short).
       {tuch rIt} means to prophesize, see the future, know the future.
       For Klingons, the prophet is able to 'summon' the future somehow.
... the term {tuch rItwI'} should be seen more literally as a future-teller or a predicter. I think it would seem strange that if you translate a Bible verse and end up with future-teller Jesus. To me, the prophet from a Bible sounds a bit like a holy person sent by god or so, and that's absolutely unrelated to {tuch rItwI'}. It may work, but I was only pointing that here, it's not really a religious term...

TREK TRIVIA:

MIRROR-SPOCK:  One man cannot summon the future.
KIRK:  		   But one man can change the present.  (TOS "Mirror, Mirror")

T'POL:  Vulcans have a saying: "One man can summon the future." (ENT "United")

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons