[tlhIngan Hol] tlhIngan Hol jatlhmeH, ghoghwIj lo' De'wI'wIj

Daniel Dadap daniel at dadap.net
Mon May 28 04:27:44 PDT 2018

>> On May 27, 2018, at 23:59, Alan Anderson <qunchuy at alcaco.net> wrote:
>>
>> On Sun, May 27, 2018 at 11:29 PM, Daniel Dadap <daniel at dadap.net> wrote:
>> https://soundcloud.com/user-649584902/tlhingan-hol-jatlhmeh-ghoghwij-lo-dewiwij
>>
>> tlhIngan Hol vIjatlhtaHvIS, wab tamey puS vIchenmoH. ghIq, wab tamey ghoghwIj poj nIqHom. pojvammo', DaH tlhIngan Hol jatlhlaH nIqHomvam, 'ej ghoghwIj rurqu'.
>>
>> pa' nIqHomvam tu'lu': github.com/CSTR-Edinburgh/Ossian
>
> Daj. Are there instructions for running it under Windows, or must I try to get Linux running on a computer I no longer use?

If instructions for Windows exist, I haven’t seen them. The bulk of the tools and even most of the dependencies are Python and in theory could run on Windows, but there are some places where I could imagine that things weren’t done in an especially portable way. And there could be some dependency that doesn’t port to Windows as well. In particular, the setup scripts assume a Unix-like system, but it might still be possible to replicate what they’re doing outside of a Unix-like environment. I have gotten the tools working on GNU/Linux and macOS without much trouble, so if you have access to a Mac that could be another option.

If you’re intrigued enough to consider getting GNU/Linux going, I would consider trying (if you’re on Windows 10) the Windows Subsystem for Linux to see if that is sufficient. Naively, it seems that it ought to be. You should probably know that it requires quite a bit of computing power to do the training, and while the training times will be tolerable on a CPU for a tiny corpus (like the example Romanian corpus in the instructions), for anything serious you will probably want to be doing it on a GPU, and I’m nearly certain that you won’t be able to get Theano’s GPU support running on Windows, or even WSL. (Disclaimer: I work for NVIDIA, and all opinions are my own.)

If you just want to play with a small corpus, feel free to try getting the tools running on your own system, but if you want to train anything substantial and don’t have a GNU/Linux system with a suitable GPU, it might be easier to send me recordings for training. You could still get the tools going on your own system to handle the synthesis, which requires substantially less compute power.

>> (I’m not intentionally not providing a transcription, as I’m hoping the quality of the recording is sufficient for you to figure out what it says).
>
> The first syllable of the third word is unclear, as is the fourth from last word.

The fourth from last word is {chaq}. The third word is key to the meaning of the whole utterance, and I agree that it doesn’t come out clearly. It’s a somewhat obscure word and doesn’t occur in the corpus (though neither do several of the other words you didn’t seem to have a problem with).

> The {j} sounds a lot like {ch},

Yeah, it seems to have a problem with voicing. {gh} sounds too close to {H} in some places. I’ve gotten the validation loss down from ~190 with my initial corpus to ~175 with the current corpus, and the difference in quality is stark, so I am hoping that additional training with higher quality recordings will improve things further.

> but even accounting for that I can't make sense of it grammatically.

Yeah, admittedly the reason I can understand it is because I wrote the sentence and I know what it’s supposed to say, so I can hear past the deficiencies in the audio. Of course, I don’t actually speak Klingon particularly well yet, so it’s possible the sentence just doesn’t make sense at all. I’ll send you the solution privately, to judge whether the sentence is sensible regardless of the speech production, and if you don’t think it makes sense I’ll go ahead and post the transcript to this thread.