[tlhIngan Hol] {'} as [t] - dialect?

Daniel Dadap daniel at dadap.net
Tue May 22 05:23:43 PDT 2018

> On May 21, 2018, at 00:15, Rhona Fenwick <qeslagh at hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> ghItlhpu' Daniel, jatlh:
> > but I wasn’t aware that it was actually written in an archaic language.
>
> jang loghaD, jatlh:
> > It's really only the first three cantos that are written in no' Hol, but that's still enough to glean
> > quite a bit of the shifts which have occurred. 'ISqu' posted a very good summary back when
> > the book was first published:
>
> The excellent summary that 'ISqu' posted was focused upon the phonology, and was a follow-up to my summary of no' Hol grammatical features, which Daniel may also find useful or interesting in this context.
>
> http://www.kli.org/tlhIngan-Hol/2011/November/msg00492.html

This is delightful, thanks for the pointer!

> Regarding the {t}/{'} issue, it may or may not be relevant to note also that the term {Heghbat} "ritual suicide" (KGT) seems to have a variant {Heghba'}, from Ann Crispin's novel "Sarek" whose Klingon material was also provided by Marc Okrand.

Thanks for the example. That does seem to offer additional support for the {t}/{‘} variant hypothesis. I also remembered {ghe''or}/{ghe'tor} as another example. And of course, {QI'lop}/{Qetlop}, which could be suggestive of {Qetlop} being a form that falls somewhere in-between a hypothetical {*'qetlup} in ancient Klingon and {QI'lop} in modern Klingon. Which could make sense if Klingons were able to infer {*lup} -> {lop} by context (QI'lopDaq malopba'), but if the origins of QI'lop as a “military holiday” have become obscure over the years and people have forgotten the “true meaning of QI'lop” (QetlopDaq nuq wIlop?), the connection between {*'qet} -> {QI'} might have been more obscure, yielding {Qetlop}