[tlhIngan Hol] {'} as [t] - dialect?

Felix Malmenbeck felixm at kth.se
Sun May 20 16:26:09 PDT 2018

> but I wasn’t aware that it was actually written in an archaic language.

It's really only the first three cantos that are written in no' Hol, but that's still enough to glean quite a bit of the shifts which have occurred. 'ISqu' posted a very good summary back when the book was first published:

http://www.kli.org/tlhIngan-Hol/2011/December/msg00031.html

> FWIW, in B’elanna’s (or maybe originally Miral’s) “dialect”, at least according to the tape,
> the word for blood is (usually, but not always) pronounced something like the English word
> “you” with a clear [j] glide in the beginning of the syllable.

I think quite a lot of people do this, possibly because the word is often described as sounding like the English word "eww" or "eugh", which sometimes has that glide at the beginning. It's quite possible that that's what her notes said.

//loghaD