[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: 'evta'

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Wed May 16 08:24:23 PDT 2018

Klingon word: 'evta'
Part of speech: noun
Definition: animal similar to a newt or salamander
Source: qep'a' 24  [2017]

How a {'evta'} is different from a {lung} - *loong* (a type of lizardlike animal) - is unclear:

(MO's KCD audio):  Although {lung} is translated as "lizard", it actually can refer to any animal of that general shape, such as a newt or salamander.

(KGT 49):  ... a {lung} is not really a dragon, but that is a close approximation

(KGT 88):  The small eggs of the Tokvirian skink ({toqvIr lung}), however, are often eaten whole, shell and all, usually by the handful.

"Their population is kept in check by the abundance of reptiles on their homeworld." (Phlox discussing tribbles, ENT "The Breach")

SEE ALSO:
QIncha' 	krincha (type of lizard) (n)
la'SIv 		turtle-like animal (n)
Duran lung 	Durani lizard  (n)
ghargh  	serpent,  worm (n)

I suspect {'evta'} a pun, but I can't see it.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons