[tlhIngan Hol] ponglIj 'oH Alexa'e'

Daniel Dadap daniel at dadap.net
Mon May 14 17:18:22 PDT 2018

> On May 14, 2018, at 19:10, RE Andeen <eric.andeen at outlook.com> wrote:
>
> You can report the bad translation to me. I work at Amazon now, as a developer on Alexa, though I’m not involved in this particular feature. I’ll find out how to get it fixed.

Sweet, thanks. I repeatedly asked Alexa to speak Klingon and I believe I’ve heard her whole repertoire now. The phrases that she seems to know are:
* nuqneH
* Qapla'
* bortaS bIr jablu'DI' QaQqu' nay'
* 'IwlIj jachjaj
* nuq 'oH pongwIj'e' (translated as what is YOUR name)

The pronunciation is surprisingly good for TTS software that I assume was not designed to pronounce Klingon. I imagine it must be spelled out phonetically. The one about cold revenge is the one that sounds the most off, but I’ll take Alexa’s pronunciation over Sheldon’s any day. Only the last translation is problematic.

> pagh

voq vav SoH'a'?

> From: tlhIngan-Hol <tlhingan-hol-bounces at lists.kli.org> on behalf of Daniel Dadap <daniel at dadap.net>
> Date: Monday, May 14, 2018 at 5:07 PM
> To: "tlhingan-hol at kli.org" <tlhingan-hol at kli.org>
> Subject: Re: [tlhIngan Hol] ponglIj 'oH Alexa'e'
>
> Heh, I did that just now and vogh ghoghvetlh vIQoypu'bejpu'. }}};-) Dat De'vID tu'lu'law'. tlhIngan Hol jatlhDI' nIqHomvetlh, chuSnIS ghogh 'e' vIHar. tlhoS pagh vIQoy.

jIQaghba'. “vIQoybejpu'” vIjatlh vIneHba'.