[tlhIngan Hol] Moods and modality

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Mon May 7 13:19:50 PDT 2018

Various sources I've read (e.g., the Wikipedia entry on Klingon) say
that Klingon has two moods: indicative and imperative. Maybe this is
right. But what determines whether something is a mood? Does Klingon
have an interrogative mood (*bItlhutlhtaH'a'*/Are you drinking?/)? What
about an optative mood (*bIQuchjaj*/May you be happy/)? We know that we
can create an irrealis with *net jalchugh; *is this a subjunctive mood?
Or does a mood require an inflected verb? Do the qualification suffixes
create a mood?

Basically, how does one determine what moods a language actually has,
and can we apply this to Klingon?