[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: tlhIn

Lieven L. Litaer levinius at gmx.de
Wed Mar 28 01:08:29 PDT 2018

Am 28.03.2018 um 09:48 schrieb De'vID:
> Does "Klin" mean anything in (John M. Ford's version of) Klingonaase?

Bot that I know of. It's part of "Klin Zha" and "Klin Zhai", but no more.

> Many endonyms/autonyms (people's names for themselves) mean something
> like "the people" in their own language. I wonder if {tlhIn} and
> {tlhIngan} are related (perhaps through {tlhIn-ngan} meaning something
> like "inhabitants of our own planet").

Remember that the Klingons were first situated on a planet named
"Kling", but the producers soon rejected that name, being too silly. We
still have the {tlhIng yoS}.

> Aside: How is the randomisation for KWOTD done? It seems to be
> disproportionately "newer words", rather than uniformly random.

I noticed that too. It may be a technical error, but on the other hand,
TKD+KGT has roughly 2000 words, and after that we got about 1000 new
words, so maybe even when doing randomization, every third word is "new".

--
Lieven L. Litaer
aka the "Klingon Teacher from Germany"