[tlhIngan Hol] SuS and objects

David Holt kenjutsuka at live.com
Tue Mar 20 20:43:12 PDT 2018

Thanks.  Knowing the date and subject of the email I was able to find it in my archives.  I just hadn't remembered that bit.  That makes it very clear.

From: tlhIngan-Hol <tlhingan-hol-bounces at lists.kli.org> on behalf of nIqolay Q <niqolay0 at gmail.com>
Sent: Tuesday, March 20, 2018 9:49 PM
To: tlhingan-hol at kli.org
Subject: Re: [tlhIngan Hol] SuS and objects

Lieven posted bits from the handout at qepHom 2017, here's a link to the archive of that post: http://lists.kli.org/pipermail/tlhingan-hol-kli.org/2017-November/006636.html

I don't think the whole thing has been posted anywhere else yet, though.

The verb is {ngon}. The noun is {ba'Suq}.

Also... The verb {jo'} means "blow into a container of some kind" in the
sense of "inflate, fill with air, blow up" ("blow up" like to blow up a
balloon, not "explode").

It's used for blowing up a balloon, blowing into a paper bag (so you can
then hit the bag against something so that it explodes with a loud
noise), whatever it is that glass blowers do, and, yes, blow bubbles.

It's not the same as {SuS}, which can also be used for blowing out a
candle. With {SuS} you're blowing into/onto/at something, but the air
gets out of the thing (or never goes in it). With {jo'}, the air is
trapped in the thing and can't come out until you let it out (or the
thing breaks).

The object of both verbs is the thing you blow into/onto/at. If you use
a {-Daq} construction, it implies that you missed – you blew towards the
object, but the air bypassed it.
Additional information, not printed:

The verb {ngon} describes what water does when it's boiling: It's
bubbling. Also, if you blow with a straw into a glass of water, then
it's also bubble-ing, i.e. making bubbles. The person does not {ngon},
they {ngonmoH} the water.

The noun {ba'Suq} is used also for a chewing gum bubble, a soap bubble
and so on. You can even have bubbles in the bath tub, and the foam in
the bathtub is made of millions of bubbles, but the foam itself is not
called bubble. Of course, you can add suffixes to it for very small
bubbles, like the ones you have in sparkling water and champagne, for

On Tue, Mar 20, 2018 at 9:08 PM, David Holt <kenjutsuka at live.com<mailto:kenjutsuka at live.com>> wrote:

De'vID, I notice that you added some information to the boQwI' entry for SuS.  There has been some question about how to say what you are blowing into.  You addition to boQwI' seems to imply that the instrument should be the direct object and it clearly says that the locative is for something that is being blown at rather than being blown through.  Your note is marked as coming from Saarbrucken qepHom'a' 2017, but I don't remember seeing that announced and it's not noted in the KLI's new word list or at Hol 'ampaS.  Can you tell us more about it?

tlhIngan-Hol mailing list
tlhIngan-Hol at lists.kli.org<mailto:tlhIngan-Hol at lists.kli.org>

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://lists.kli.org/pipermail/tlhingan-hol-kli.org/attachments/20180321/e0b6ec6a/attachment-0002.htm>

More information about the tlhIngan-Hol mailing list