[tlhIngan Hol] vIta'pu'be' vs vIta'be'pu'

mayqel qunenoS mihkoun at gmail.com
Fri Mar 9 10:51:13 PST 2018

jIH:
>  {QIn tetlhvam vImuvbe'pu'}
>  I didn't join this list, and this (my not joining) is completed.
voragh:
> I have no idea what this "translation" is supposed to mean.  Do
>  you mean that you failed to join the list (e.g. you tried repeatedly
> but the sign-up subroutine isn't working)?
> Perhaps if you provide a little context for each example I'd have a
>  better idea of what you're asking.

The way I understand the translation of this example is "sometime in the
past I tried/wanted/decided to join this list, but because of some reason,
eventually I didn't. And now, at the time I'm speaking this sentence, my
"not joining" is complete".

Unfortunately, I can't explain any further my understanding of this
example.. I'm at a loss myself with regards to the use of {-be'} with the
{-pu'} or {-ta'}.

I don't know; perhaps I'm overthinking this. From what I understand though,
the {-pu'be'} is far more common, so I'll just place from now on the {-be'}
after the aspect suffix without trying too much to analyze the meaning.

~ nI'ghma