[tlhIngan Hol] vIta'pu'be' vs vIta'be'pu'

Felix Malmenbeck felixm at kth.se
Fri Mar 9 04:49:06 PST 2018

To me, the two represent two different things:

vIta'pu'be' - "I have not done it, ever (in the scope of time being considered)"

vIta'be'pu' - "there has been at least one instance of me *not* doing (in the scope of time being considered), but I'm not necessarily denying that there were also instances of me doing it"

For example:

qaStaHvIS DIS vorgh, jIroppu'be'. - "Last year, I wasn't ever sick."

qaStaHvIS DIS vorgh, jIropbe'pu'. - "Last year, I wasn't always sick."

The distinction becomes a bit clearer with -ta':

qaStaHvIS wa'Hu' ram Hoch, jIQongta'be'. - "I didn't manage to get any sleep last night."

qaStaHvIS wa'Hu' ram Hoch, jIQongbe'ta'. - "I was able to remain awake last night."

//loghaD