[tlhIngan Hol] {-moH} and two things instead of three

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Wed Mar 21 09:26:06 PDT 2018

On 3/21/2018 10:19 AM, mayqel qunenoS wrote:
> SuStel:
>
> > But in your example you have the same entity
>
> > as the causer and the done upon, which is not
>
> > one of the times you use a reflexive suffix. So
>
> > your instincts are correct.
>

> So, this means that if we have a transitive verb on which we place the
> {-moH}, then:
>

> a. this verb can't have the causer as subject and the done upon as object
>
> b. we can't use the {-'egh}/{-chuq} on this verb in a sentence, such
> as the "the vulcans caused the federation to accept them"
>

> So, we can't express the intended meaning in the way {*yadda*vaD X
> *verb*moH X}, and we need to recast.
>

> Right ?

I wish you wouldn't try to put what I say into absolute formulas. I'm
not declaring a rule; I'm analyzing what seems to happen in these sorts
of sentences and drawing a conclusion. And it seems to me that the
reflexive suffixes apply when a doer is also the done-to, and when a
causer is also the made-to-do, and for no other combination.

In {YvaD X VmoH X}, X is the causer and the done-to, which isn't one of
those combinations that I think requires a reflexive suffix. It seems a
correct construction.