[tlhIngan Hol] bIQ qoD Dujmaj SuD

nIqolay Q niqolay0 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 5 08:04:11 PDT 2018

On Tue, Jun 5, 2018 at 10:24 AM, Daniel Dadap <daniel at dadap.net> wrote:

> Ahh, thanks for clarifying that. I hadn’t known that law' could be used as
> a noun, and was reading it as a stative-verb-as-adjective, and failing to
> understand how the topic marker could go on a verb.
>
> I guess in that case it’s ungrammatical to say latlhpu' law''e'? Or maybe
> it’s okay, with latlhpu' law' being a noun-noun? (I want the extra
> syllable, but can probably do without it.)

​{law'} isn't a noun. When you have a stative verb being used adjectivially
with a noun, if the noun has a type-5 suffix, the type-5 suffix gets put on
the verb instead. {-'e'} is a type 5 suffix, so it gets moved from the noun
{latlh} to the "adjective" {law'}. E.g. {qab Qe'} "The restaurant is bad",
{Qe' qabDaq} "at the bad restaurant".