[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: DI'ruj velqa' nIqHom

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Wed Jun 6 09:05:46 PDT 2018

On 6/6/2018 11:51 AM, nIqolay Q wrote:
> I'm curious to know how to use {DI'ruj} in a sentence. Can we use it
> to make existential statements? For instance, would something like
> {DI'rujDaq 'IDnar tu'be'lu'} be interpreted in the sense of "Magic
> doesn't exist/is fictional"? Is {DI'ruj} a location, can it even take
> a {-Daq}? Does {'IDnar ngaSbe' DI'ruj} work for the same idea?

I wouldn't automatically assume *DI'rujDaq* makes any sense, unless
you're talking about a science-fiction story in which characters are
hopping between realities. Your second version is safer for that reason.

Such a word depends on a conceptual metaphor of "reality is a place,"
which we don't know Klingons share. Maybe if there are hints of this
particular conceptual metaphor in canon we could be more certain of it.
I can't think of any offhand. Klingons might conceptually consider
reality to be a state rather than a place, for instance.