[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: joy'

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Mon Jun 25 07:24:19 PDT 2018

Klingon word: joy'
Part of speech: verb
Definition: torture

(KGT 153):  [{luH}] literally means "yank" and is used in such sentences as {jav luHpu' 'avwI'} (The guard has caused a prisoner to confess--literally, "The guard has yanked a six"). Standard words expressing the same notions are {DISmoH} (cause to confess) and {peghHa'moH} (cause to not keep a secret).

(KGT 55):  Klingon technology has produced two weapons used, as far as is known, only by the Klingons themselves... The second distinctly Klingon weapon is the {QIghpej} [agonizer], a hand-held device that produces excruciating pain when pressed up against an adversary.

TREK TRIVIA:

  "I shall torture you to death, one by one." (Kang, TOS "Day of the Dove")

  "They will torture us for our scientific and technical information." (Mara to Kang, TOS "Day of the Dove")

  "Physical discomfort is extremely persuasive." (Adviser Plasus of the cloud city Stratos, TOS "The Cloud Minders")

PUN:
  "joy"

SEE ALSO:
yu' 		question, interrogate (v)
nogh 		writhe (v)
bIj		punish (v)
Hup 		punish (v)

be'joy' 		ritualized torture-by-females (n)

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons