[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: jI'ev

De'vID de.vid.jonpin at gmail.com
Thu Jun 28 03:42:19 PDT 2018

On Thu, 28 Jun 2018 at 09:06, Rhona Fenwick <qeslagh at hotmail.com> wrote:

> (Tangentially, I'd always been struck by the resemblance of the musical
> instrument *chuS'ugh* to Chusuk, the so-called "Music Planet" in Frank
> Herbert's *Dune*. It seems to be little more than a striking coincidence,
> though; the *chuS'ugh* appears to have been coined by Howard Weinstein
> for the TNG novel *Power Hungry* in '89, probably from *chuS* + *'ugh*,
> and retrospectively canonised in the TKD Addendum. FWIW, in *Power Hungry*
> the *chuS'ugh* is described as a four-stringed instrument, pear-shaped,
> about two feet high, and played with a bow while it rests on the knee.
> Perhaps the cello is the nearest European classical equivalent.)

The "Star Trek Fact Files" magazine no. 89 claims the following:
https://archive.org/stream/StarTrekFactFilesNo89/Star%20Trek%20Fact%20Files%20No%2089_djvu.txt
"Klingon opera is often accompanied by the bagpipe-like musical instrument
known as a chuS'ugh."

So... a bagpipe which is played with a bow? Interesting.

--
De'vID