[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: tey

nIqolay Q niqolay0 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 25 08:12:46 PDT 2018

On Mon, Jun 25, 2018 at 10:52 AM, SuStel <sustel at trimboli.name> wrote:

> It's probably a reference to shaving.

When I think of {tey} in the "be uncomfortably close" sense, the
metaphorical imagery I think of is something like a car in a car chase
making it around a turn at high speed but losing some paint on a guardrail.
Or, less excitingly, managing to get a sofa out of the living room but
scraping up the wall on the way out. Success, but just barely. The metaphor
"a close shave" for a narrow escape is based on similar imagery; avoiding
some hazard by such a small margin that it takes off some of my hair.