[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: yoH

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Fri Jun 22 08:31:37 PDT 2018

Klingon word: yoH
Part of speech: verb
Definition: be brave

  wej tlhInganpu' yoH
  three brave Klingons CK

  logh veQDaq bachchugh, yoH 'e' toblaHbe' SuvwI'
  Shooting space garbage is no test of a warrior's mettle. (original line, ST5 notes)

  QaghmeylIj tIchID, yIyoH
  Have the courage to admit your mistakes. TKW

  yoHbogh matlhbogh je SuvwI'
     Say'moHchu' may' 'Iw
  The blood of battle washes clean
    the warrior brave and true. (Anthem)

  reH Hegh yoHwI'pu''e'
  Always it is the brave ones who die. TKW

  tlhIngan yoH law' verengan yoH puS
  The Klingon is braver than the Ferengi.  (Cf. slang variants: KGT 178f.)

  tlhIngan yoH law' Hoch yoH puS
  Klingons are the bravest of all.  (Cf. slang variants: KGT 178f.)

  'Iw bIQtIqvo' toS SuvwI' yoH puH QaDDaq paw
  The fearless warrior climbs out of the blood onto dry land. (PB)

  che'taHvIS val qeylIS 'ej yoH
  during Kahless's reign of wisdom and bravery (PB)

  ghoS ghoqwI' tam 'e' yItu' yoHHa'wI' Sop ghaH
  See the spy creeping, he will feed on the weak-hearted. (PB)

  jIyoHqu'
  Fearless, I will be (PB)

  tlhIngan vav
      bIval 'ej bIyoH
      bIQapta'
  Klingon Father,
      Wise and brave,
      You have succeeded.  (PB)

  bIQ lungaSchugh tlhIngan 'aDDu'
      qoj yoHbe'chugh tlhIngan tIqDu'
      ghe'torDaq mutlhej 'ej veqlargh lutlhej
  The Klingons with fear in their hearts
      And water in their veins
      Will stay in Gre'thor with me and Fek'lhr  (PB)

  'Iw bIQtIqvo'
      toS SuvwI' yoH
      puH QaDDaq paw
  The fearless warrior
      Climbs out of the blood
      Onto dry land.  (PB)

  chaH neH wovmoHlu'be'
      chaH 'emvo' ghoS
      SuvwI'pu' mangghom yoH
   [translation unavailable] (PB)

  vaj jIHeghchugh
      tlhIngan yoH retlhDaq jIHegh
      'ej batlh jIHegh
   [translation unavailable] (PB)

  molorDaq He ghoStaHvIS
      yoHbogh SuvwI' law'
   [translation unavailable] (PB)

LANGUAGE NOTES:

(KGT 166f.):  To say {SuvwI' yoH law' ngIb yoH puS} ("The warrior is braver than an ankle") is far from complimentary.

(KGT 165):  Nonslang equivalents for {Sub} are {yoH} (be brave) and {jaq} (be bold), which can be used pretty much interchangeably.

TREK TRIVIA:

  "Always it is the brave ones who die. The soldiers." (Kor, TOS "Errand of Mercy")

  "You speak of courage. Does courage mean so liittle to you?" (Kirk, TOS "Errand of Mercy")

  "You speak of courage. Obviously you do not know the difference between courage and foolhardiness." (Kor, TOS "Errand of Mercy")

  "The Borg have neither honor nor courage. That is our greatest advantage." (Worf, TNG "The Best of Both Worlds, Pt. I")

SEE ALSO:
quv 		be honorable (v)
matlh 		be loyal (v)
Sub 		be brave, be heroic, be bold, be valiant, be intrepid (slang ; v)

toDuj 		courage, bravery, mettle (n)
qajunpaQ 	courage, audacity (n)

--
Voragh