[tlhIngan Hol] New words from qep'a' cha'maH vaghDIch

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Mon Jul 23 07:32:59 PDT 2018

I agree with SuStel:  very nicely done.  qurgh, thanks for taking the time to publish these.

N.B. There seems to be quite a few synonyms/homonyms this time – at least in English.  For example, I count six new verbs for “stick/stuck”:

DIy                         be stuck (v)
        (like when you can’t get a door open or a window open)

HIr                         be stuck (v)
        (like a stamp is stuck to an envelope or a spitwad is stuck on a wall)

lIQ                          be stuck (v)
                (like when you can’t solve an algebra problem or a crossword puzzle)
ngam                      adhere, stick (v)
                (with -moH, the object is the thing that’s stuck to or adhering to something else, marked by -Daq)
ngItlh                      be stuck (v)
                (like when your car is stuck in the snow or Santa is stuck in the chimney or a ring is stuck on your finger or a nail is stuck in a piece of wood and you can’t pull it out)

Sat                          be stuck (v)
               (like being stuck in a meeting or stuck in traffic (also, for some reason, it be would be for a cat stuck in a tree))

… and two words for different meanings of  “cross” (i.e. verb and noun):

vech                        cross (v)
               (as in a bridge crossing a river, etc)

me’cheD                  cross (+), ex (x) (n)

The parenthetical comment is a clue there may be other words, though you’ll need to search them in English as the list is in alphabetical order by Klingon word.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

From: SuStel