[tlhIngan Hol] info from Maltz on the spellings of Gorkon and B'Elanna

De'vID de.vid.jonpin at gmail.com
Wed Jul 4 02:48:21 PDT 2018

On Tue, 3 Jul 2018 at 16:30, SuStel <sustel at trimboli.name> wrote:

> On 7/3/2018 5:44 AM, De'vID wrote:
>
> The Latin-script writing system we use for Klingon is a phonetic
> transcription. We don't actually know how to "spell" anything in any native
> Klingon writing system.
>
> Alas, that is no longer true. Thanks to the intervention of certain
> Klingonists, Klingon has appeared in decipherable writing on *Star Trek:
> Discovery,* in the one-to-one phonemic alphabet invented by another
> certain Klingonist. This alphabet is directly translatable to our
> Latin-letter transcription. We are stuck with this most boring of writing
> systems being on-screen canon, at least for the *Discovery* Klingons, and
> no explanation of why the in-universe compilers of *The Klingon
> Dictionary* had such a hard time understanding it.

Isn't it obvious? We're viewing the historical recordings/simulations of
the USS Discovery through the universal translator, which has simplified
written Klingon into a phonetic alphabet but retained a {pIqaD}esque
appearance for flavour.

Also, we know that real Klingon isn't phonetic/phonemic. We just found out
that Gorkon is written as if it were {ghorqon} and spoken (in Kirk's time)
as if it were {ghorqan}, and B'Elanna's name is pronounced {beylana} but
probably corresponds to a name which was originally {be'elanna} or
something like that.

--
De'vID