[tlhIngan Hol] New words from qep'a' cha'maH vaghDIch

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Mon Jul 23 12:29:00 PDT 2018

On 7/23/2018 3:14 PM, qurgh lungqIj wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 23, 2018 at 3:07 PM, mayqel qunenoS <mihkoun at gmail.com
> <mailto:mihkoun at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     There is something I don't understand with regards to the
>     additional definition of "whereas" which was given to the {'ach}.
>

>     How is it possible to write a sentence, where the reader will
>     understand only the "whereas", instead of the other meanings of
>     {'ach} ?
>

>     ~ nI'ghma
>

> Use the idiom that came with it. I'd say something like:
>
> {Ha'DIbaH neH Sop loDnal 'ach, ro' mojchugh ghIt, naH neH Sop be'nalDaj}
> "The husband eats only meat, whereas his wife eats only vegetables"
>
> {mIp ghowron 'ej ngeD yInDaj 'ach, ro' mojchugh ghIt, mIpHa' torgh 'ej
> Qatlhqu' yInDaj}
> "Gowron is rich and his life is easy, whereas Torg is poor and his
> life is very difficult"

But is /whereas/ simply a synonym for /but,/ or is there some subtle
difference? The idiomatic expression appears to be an alternative to
using *'ach* as /whereas,/ but it is not made clear what the difference
between /but/ and /whereas/ is supposed to be.

Dictionary.com defines this kind of /but/ as "on the contrary," and
/whereas /as "while on the contrary." Not much difference there.

It looks like Okrand is using /whereas/ to contrast two approximately
equal alternatives, and that this is somehow different from ordinary
/but./ If this is the case, then *'ach* meaning both of them means
Klingon doesn't distinguish this meaning except with the idiomatic
expression.