[tlhIngan Hol] New word from Maltz: mIrSam "smoking pipe"

Rhona Fenwick qeslagh at hotmail.com
Tue Jul 3 03:36:47 PDT 2018

A little while ago I was asked to look over someone else's translation into Klingon of a story that involved, among other things, the word "pipe" - not in the sense of a fluid conduit, but a pipe used for smoking - and the Klingon rendition that had been used for the English word was slightly ungrammatical as written and a little clunky. However, it reminded me that I'd heard something about a possible Klingon rendition of the word way back in 2011 at my first qep'a', and so, in my most recent email exchange with Marc Okrand, I asked him about the Klingon term for such a pipe. He confirmed that "mIrSam, for better or worse, is the word for "(smoking) pipe."" (email dated 11-05-2018)

No word on what plant or animal substances a Klingon might smoke in such a pipe (certainly on Earth there's a fair range), but that might be a question someone can pose at qep'a' or at another time.

QeS 'utlh