[tlhIngan Hol] new words from DSC-subtitles (with minor SPOILERS)

Felix Malmenbeck felixm at kth.se
Mon Jan 8 12:47:55 PST 2018

> For "mirror universe," I suggest {Dop} "be opposite, antithetical,
> contradictory" (yes — this is a new word).

Very useful! I've been wanting a word for "be opposite".

I guess the opposites would go in the subject: {Dop X Y je.} = "X and Y are the opposites of each other."
Alternatively, perhaps you could say something like {X'e' Dop Y.}, or just {Dop Y.} if X is clear from context.
Perhaps you could even use {Y DopmoH X.}; it is X that makes Y opposite, as something cannot be opposite of nothing.

Would be interesting to know how to use this to describe antonyms. Can you treat verbs like names, and say something like:

{Dop Say' lam je.}
= "Say' and lam are opposites."

Or perhaps give them "titles" such as:

{Dop Say' wot lam wot je.}
= "The verb Say' is the opposite of the verb lam."

Or would you have to nominalize for the sentence to make grammatical sense?

{Dop Say'taHghach lamtaHghach je.}
= "Cleanliness and filthiness are opposites."

> I'm now wondering whether {nIqHom SIrgh quq} could be used for
> "concurrent thread" in the context of software.

I would be inclined to use {quq} when discussing parallel computing, where the threads are actually being run simultaneously, unlike concurrent threading where (I believe) the threads need to share resources.
I'm a bit tempted to use {'ovbogh} to describe "concurrent", as they are essentially competing (albeit peacefully) for resources. However, that may be a case of linguistic bias (in Swedish, the word "konkurrent" means "competitor" or "rival").

I think {tlhegh} might be preferable to {SIrgh}, considering the word {mu'tlhegh}, though I might be reading too much into that. {mIr} would certainly make a lot of sense, as it has discrete elements.
{tlhegh} is also apparently used for lines formed by people (c.f. paq'batlh, paq'raD, Canto 1, Stanza 9, Line 2 - chen wej tlheghmey), though it's unclear if the word incorporates the sequential aspects of a queue or just the shape of a rope.

//loghaD