[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: bagh

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Thu Jan 25 08:42:58 PST 2018

Klingon word: bagh
Part of speech: verb
Definition: tie

baghHa'  	decrypt without permission (slang) (v) (qepHom 2014)

 (Okrand to De'vID, 10/2014):  [Maltz] said he does not knit and, in fact, wasn't quite sure what knitting was. I explained. He said there is a word perhaps best translated as weave and that he has heard of using sticks when doing a certain kind of weaving, but he didn't know a name for that other than weaving. (There are apparently other types of weaving also.) The word for weave (verb) is {nIq}. For the sticks used when doing whatever this weaving technique is, he's only heard {Hut'Inmey tIq}.

(Lieven, 11/12/2014 < qepHom 2014):  After giving us the word for knitting, Maltz just revealed another useful and related word: it's {meS} and means knot, both as noun and verb. The object of the verb is the thing you use to make a knot, e.g. {tlhegh vImeS} - "I make a knot in the rope". To loosen the knot, simply say {meSHa'}.  <...>  Maltz also said that now that everyone knows the word {meS}, he can add that {meS} is a frequently used slang term for encrypt. Similarly, {meSHa'} means decrypt. <...> {So'} is the normal way to say encrypt, {So'Ha'} means decrypt with permission, and {baghHa'} means decrypt without permission.

SEE ALSO:
muv 		join (v)
rar 		connect, attach (v)
tay' 		be together, be united (v)