[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: DIgh

nIqolay Q niqolay0 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 2 08:55:08 PST 2018

On Tue, Jan 2, 2018 at 11:00 AM, Steven Boozer <sboozer at uchicago.edu> wrote:

> Klingon word: DIgh
> Part of speech: verb
> Definition: undertake, deal with
> Source: qep'a' 23 [2016]
>
> DaH nuq wIDIgh?
> What is our current task? ("What do we undertake now?") (qep'a' 2016)
>
> PUN:
> the colloquial phrase *infra dig* (< *infra dignitatem*) "beneath one,
> demeaning"?

​The popularity of this expression seems to be in decline (I had never
heard of it before now), so I suspect this might not be it.​

If it's a pun at all, my guess is that it's a pun on "undertaker" -- as in,
someone who handles funerals and DIghs a grave.

(One thing I've noticed with Okrand's recent puns is that when he provides
multiple glosses for a word with a pun in it, if the pun is related to an
alternate meaning or use of one of those glosses, it'll probably be the
word he lists first. Look at the order of glosses in the original
description of *'oDtu'*, for instance.

Don't tell him I said that though or he might start switching it up.)