[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: nev'aQ

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Tue Jan 30 08:16:43 PST 2018

Klingon word: nev'aQ
Part of speech: noun
Definition: sarcophagus (simple)
Source: qep'a' 24 [2017]

Apparently this is "sort of an everyday sarcophagus, strictly utilitarian".

SEE ALSO:
nebeylI' 		sarcophagus (fancy) (n)
pel'aQ 			coffin (also eggshell) (n)
jItuj'ep 			mummy (n)
  jItuj'ep ngutlh  	   mummification glyph (n)

Qov used {nebeylI'} in DSC "Battle At the Binary Stars":

  nebeylI' 'elrupchoHmeH Hoch lom ghopDu'wIj vIlo'.
  I will prepare each of the slain for entombment with my own hands.

(Lieven, 1/02/2018):  "I just rewatched episode 2 of Discovery, and indeed, T'kuvma explained why they recovered their dead warriors: He explains that when a warrior dies while sleeping, he is just flesh and bones, but a warrior who dies in battle deserves his final honorable treatment."

I also found an unattributed comment in my notes for {nebeylI'} (Lieven, is this yours?):

   ... associated with ritual and honor and all that. It's much more than just a
   repository (and presumably it's fancier looking). Maltz said that at some
   point in the past, Klingons stopped using them (though they didn't necessarily
   destroy ones already there). He wasn't sure if they were used in one form or
   another for everyone or only for certain, presumably high-ranking, people. He
   also said something about using these words ({nev'aQ} more frequently) for
   sort of flying coffins/sarcophagi in space? (He wasn't all that clear about this.)

A Klingon sarcophagus and the Sarcophagus Ship from DSC can be seen at:
   http://www.startrek.com/uploads/assets/articles/Photo-Sarc.jpg
   http://www.startrek.com/uploads/assets/articles/Photo-Sarc-Ship.jpg

--
Voragh