[tlhIngan Hol] [Spam] tu'be'lu' vs tu'lu'be

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Fri Jan 12 08:39:00 PST 2018

To get you started, I found only three examples of {-lu’be’} by Okrand:

   SuvwI'pu' qan tu'lu'be'
   There are no old warriors. TKW

   nge'wI' rurQo' bangna'; SIHlu'be'chu'.
     parmaq choH pagh teHqu', choH tu'DI' lajDaj.
  Love is not love which alters when it alteration finds
  or bends with the remover to remove
 [“A real lover refuses to be like a remover; (s)he is completely
      unbent.”]  (Shakespeare, Sonnet 116)

   'Iw HIq yap tu'lu'be'
   Sufficient bloodwine does not exist (qep'a' 2014 Secrecy Proverb)

and one by our Klingon Teacher from Germany’s “Discovery” Netflix announcement:

   reH muchmey chu’laH, mevlaH, ’ej chu’qa’laH lo’wI’.
     malja’ qeSmey, latlh nuQbogh lenmey tu’lu’be’.
   Members can play, pause and resume watching, all without commercials
     or commitments.  (Lieven: DSC Netflix)

--Voragh

From: nIqolay Q

I'm not sure if {-lu'be'} on its own has a well-defined meaning. (One of these days, if I get the opportunity, I'd like to ask about whether {-be'} can be used with various suffixes like {-lu'} and the aspect suffixes, and what those constructions would mean.)