[tlhIngan Hol] Is Daq'a' canon ?

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Mon Jan 8 06:52:49 PST 2018

nI'ghma asks:
> A little bird told me, that in a deleted scene of the 2009 star trek movie
> appears the phrase:
>     tlhIngan wo' Daq'a' bo'elpu'
>     you have entered the jurisdiction of the klingon empire
> Does anyone know, whether this phrase was written by 'oqranD ?
> Is the above translation of {Daq'a'} = jurisdiction, canon ?

This is news to me.  Was there any other Klingon in that movie -- J.J. Abram's "Star Trek" (ST11), right? I don't have anything in my notes.

By 2009 we already had the nouns {teblaw'} "jurisdiction" and {yer} "domain, holdings, territory" so there was no pressing need for {Daq'a'} - unless the original line was somehow different.  (The production companies have been known to change subtitles, but not the spoken Klingon dialogue, after a scene is filmed.)

--Voragh