[tlhIngan Hol] boQwI' pronunciation

David Holt kenjutsuka at live.com
Thu Jan 25 09:28:48 PST 2018

De'vID, I don't know if qurgh has shown you his new game that he has created.  It requires one to listen to your boQwI' pronunciations and type out what you hear.  I've noticed a few complications with the pronunciations, but the biggest one for me is that it seems you pronounce your {a} differently depending on the consonant that precedes it.  When boQwI' says {qam} I hear [qam] as I expect.  But when I listen to {lam} without being able to see the word, I hear [læm].  https://hol.kag.org/sentence/qam+lam+qam+lam+qam+lam  I suspect that you may be allowing the forward consonants to pull your {a} forward and with the slight raise of the tongue, especially for the {l}, I'm often hearing your {a} as an {e}.

Do you (and others here) agree that the difference is there?  Is this something you're doing intentionally?  Is it something that should be fixed?

Jeremy