[tlhIngan Hol] Maltz about light

Lieven L. Litaer levinius at gmx.de
Tue Jan 30 02:56:21 PST 2018

Am 30.01.2018 um 10:51 schrieb mayqel qunenoS:
> I don't understand.
>
> {wovtaHghach} means "light" only, or does it also mean "luminescence,
> illumination" as well ?

Neither of them. You can analyze it literally as "brightness".

When Captain Lorca says "the light hurts my eyes", he is referring to
the light being bright. Late at night for instance, there still is
light, but it's not very bright. It's okay then. So he is not allergic
to the light itself, on the bright light.

Taken literal, the word {wovtaHghach} could even refer to the intensity
of a color.

The term {tamghay} is defined as "light, luminescence, illumination".
This one is the real "light", the thing emitted by a lamp, or the sun.

And I'm sure you can even combine those two: {tamghay wovtaHghach} "the
brightness of the light". Maybe this last shows the difference.

--
Lieven L. Litaer
aka the "Klingon Teacher from Germany"