[tlhIngan Hol] Expressing "all of us"

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Sun Jan 28 06:04:47 PST 2018

On 1/28/2018 7:12 AM, mayqel qunenoS wrote:
> loghaD:
> > «maH Hoch» = all/each of us, without exception (useful for
> > describing unanimous vs. collective decisions and the like)
>
> I was under the impression that using {Hoch} directly after a plural
> noun, meant "all of the.." , being able to convey only a plural meaning.
>
> For example {chabmey Hoch} "all of the pies"; {chabmey Hoch DISopta'}
> "we ate all of the pies".
>
> On the other hand, placing Hoch after a singular noun, means "all of
> the..", expressing a singular meaning. {chab Hoch wISopta'} "we ate
> all of the pie".
>
> The "each" meaning, is expressed only if we place the {Hoch} in front
> of a singular noun. {Hoch chab wISopta'} "we ate each pie".
>
> So, I can't understand how writing {maH Hoch} could mean "each of us".

What we know from canon:

  * Putting *Hoch* in front of a noun not marked as plural means /each
    noun, considered individually./
  * Putting *Hoch *in front of a noun marked as plural means /all nouns,
    taken as a whole./
  * Putting *'op* in front of a noun means /some of the nouns; some
    number of multiple nouns.
    /
  * Putting *HochHom* after a noun means /most of noun; out of a single
    noun, most of it./
    //

What I extrapolate from canon, and which can be built using other
grammatical rules, but which I cannot prove:

  * Putting *Hoch* after a noun means /all of noun; out of a single
    noun, all of it./
  * Putting *'op* after a noun means /some of noun; out of a single
    noun, some of it./
  * Putting *HochHom* in front of a noun means /most of the nouns; out
    of all nouns, most of them./

Canonical rules:

  * *Hoch chab */each pie/
  * *Hoch chabmey*/all pies/
  * *'op chab, 'op chabmey*/some pies/ (dunno if there's an /each/all/
    distinction here)
  * *chab HochHom*///most of the pie/

Extrapolation:

  * *chab Hoch*/all of the pie/
  * *chab 'op*/most of the pie/
  * *HochHom chab, HochHom chabmey*/most of the pies/ (dunno if there's