[tlhIngan Hol] Expressing "all of us"

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Sat Jan 27 19:19:10 PST 2018

On 1/27/2018 7:37 PM, nIqolay Q wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 27, 2018 at 4:14 PM, mayqel qunenoS <mihkoun at gmail.com
> <mailto:mihkoun at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     Sometime ago, I had asked of a way to say "all of us", as if in
>     "all of us like cats".
>
>     In particular, I had asked if we could write {vIghro' DImuSHa'
>     Hoch}. And as we had said back then, we can't say something like
>     this because it would violate the accord rule.
>
>     maj.
>
>     However, I just had an idea, which I would like to discuss.
>
>     Why not write:
>
>     {vIghro'mey DImuSHa' maH Hoch} ?
>     all of us love cats
>
>     Does it violate any rule ? I think it is correct and grammatical.
>     Let alone that we could place an {-'e'} on the {Hoch} for added
>     emphasis, thus writing {vIghro'mey DImuSHa' maH Hoch'e'}.

The fierceness with which people desire a /y'all/ in Klingon horrifies
me. This is no different. There is no fundamental need to express this
with a built-in phrase.

> I think there's a few instances of "all of us" in paq'batlh that were
> just translated as {maH} or some first-person-plural prefix, so you
> could probably get away with just {maH}.

Indeed, you /should/ use just *maH.* If there's any ambiguity about
/who/ loves cats, you can list who you're talking about.

> But if it's important to convey the specific notion of "all of us",
> then {maH Hoch} "the entirety of us" is probably an acceptable way to
> express that basic idea. If {maH Hoch} works, then {Hochmaj} might be
> even better.

/Assuming/ this were something we wanted to say, I would expect it to be
*maH Hoch,* not *Hochmaj.* Consider what we discover in KGT with area
phrases (like *jIH 'em */area behind me,/ not **'emwIj*).

> ​ That said, as you've got it written, it still violates the rule of
> accord. The subject is {Hoch}, not {maH}​, so you'd still use a
> third-person-subject prefix. {vIghro'mey muSHa' maH Hoch/Hochmaj}.

Yes. The head noun of the noun-noun is *Hoch, *so the phrase is
third-person. Kinda works against using this as a substitute for /we all./