[tlhIngan Hol] -bogh and je

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Thu Jan 25 15:33:15 PST 2018

On 1/25/2018 5:57 PM, David Holt wrote:
> Do we have an official way to describe an object with two {-bogh}
> verbs?  If we want to use more than one verb that is not a "be" verb
> (or a more than two "be" verbs) how do we do that?  We have {yoHbogh
> matlhbogh je SuvwI'}, but it doesn't seem good to me and I write it
> off as poetic licence.  Even if we consider {je} to be acting
> adverbally here, I still have trouble with the object of {yoH} being
> in the following sentence.  Has Dr. Okrand told us that this is the
> way to make two verbs describe one noun or are there better ways?

When TKD tells us that *'ej, pagh, *and *qoj* conjoin sentences, what it
really means is that they conjoin like verbal clauses. Most rules that
talk about sentences also apply to verbal clauses. Some canonical
examples of conjoined non-main-verb-clause verbal clauses:

    *SuDbogh Dargh 'ej wovbogh
    */the tea that is *SuD* and light /(KGT)

    *romuluSngan Sambogh 'ej HoHbogh nejwI'
    */Romulan hunter-killer probe/ (KCD)

    *pay' HIvDI' lo'wI' pagh mupDI' QIHchu' bIH.
    *[literally:] /when the user attacks suddenly or when he/she
    strikes, they damage completely/ (Skybox SP2)

    *...lengtaHvIS tlhInganpu' 'ej qo'mey Sar charghtaHvIS chaH...
    *[literally:] /...while Klingons travel and while they conquer
    various worlds.../ (Skybox SP1)

So feel free to conjoin dependent clauses as well as main clauses with
the "sentence" conjunctions, including relative clauses.