[tlhIngan Hol] tu'be'lu' vs tu'lu'be

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Fri Jan 12 11:00:32 PST 2018

Translated and/or vetted by Okrand.  Two bits of Shakespeare in Klingon to be used in a wedding were forwarded to this list on 20 March 2012 by Qov:

I got a hold of Scott McCormick, the groom in the wedding ceremony that media outlets recently reported had a King John passage translated for them by Marc Okrand. Scott kindly sent me the text, but there's a wrinkle. When Marc sent Scott the file he noted:

	"Scott --
	Here's what we came up with. (By "we," I mean a friend who's an
	expert Klingon speaker and I. He did one; I did the other.)"

That's right, half of this is canon from the keyboard of Marc Okrand and half of it was done by someone else, presumably looked over by Marc and then sent on. Is it all canon, then? We have the paq'batlh problem again! Each has the English original, the Klingon translation and an English back-translation.  <....>

   	King John (Act II, scene ii [Hubert speaks])

"He is the half part of a blessed man,
 Left to be finished by such as she;
 And she a fair divided excellence,
 Whose fullness of perfection lies in him."

  loD Do' ghaH loDvam'e' 'ach bID loD ghaH
  loD naQmoHlaH be'vam rurbogh be' neH
  'ej naQHa' be'vam povtaHghach quvqu'
  'ach be'vam pupqu'moHlaH loDvam neH

 [This man is a lucky man, but he is a half man
   Only a woman who resembles this woman can cause the man to be complete
   And this woman's very honored excellence is not complete
   But only this man is able to make this woman very perfect ]

		Sonnet 116

"Let me not to the marriage of true minds
 admit impediments. Love is not love
 which alters when it alteration finds,
 or bends with the remover to remove:
 Oh, no! It is an ever-fixed mark.
 That looks on tempests and is never shaken."

  yab matlh muvchuqghach Sorgh vay' 'e' vIbotjaj.
  nge'wI' rurQo' bangna'; SIHlu'be'chu'.
  parmaq choH pagh teHqu', choH tu'DI' lajDaj.
  ghobe'! qarbejbogh DoDvam qontaH 'u'
  jevqu'taHvIS muD ral, bejlI' parmaq.
  Qombe'! nISbe' jevwI', 'ej not ruS baq.

 [Let me prevent that anything sabotage the mutual joining of loyal minds.
  A real lover refuses to be like a remover; (s)he is completely unbent.
  Very true[ly] nothing changes love when its acceptance finds change.
  No! The universe records these coordinates which are definitely accurate.
  While the violent atmosphere storms, love still watches.
  It does not tremble! The storm does not disrupt it, and it never terminates the bond. ]

Qov