[tlhIngan Hol] "Swifthawk" and "Cuddle Dungeon"

Jeremy Silver jp.silver at tiscali.co.uk
Wed Jan 10 05:22:02 PST 2018

On Tuesday, 9 January 2018 23:25:57 GMT qurgh lungqIj wrote:
> For "Swifthawk," I'd go with 'apuStoQ.
Too bad we can't quite yet infer much about the {'apuS} part. Do I recall
correctly that before, Marc said specifically that there isn't a verb for
"fast" hence the need to say things like {nom lenglaH Duj}?

> A Klingon way to say "dungeon" is wutlh pa'. This is literally "underground
> room."

Great! A new word, and I don't have to change my most recent draft of "Far
over the misty mountains cold" lyrics again. (Thanks to SuStel for the
suggestion of {wutlh pa'} last August.)

{vI'laSHom HuDmey bIr Hay HopDaq,
wutlh pa' jaQ DIS qan je qoDDaq,
majaHnISmo' qaSpa' jajlo',
qol'ommaj ngo' wISamnISmo'.
puHmey jenqu'Daq jach Sormey;
qaStaHvIS ram, bey tlhuD SuSmey;
Doqqu'choH qul, tInqu'choH qul;
meQbogh Sechmey wov rur Sormey.}

But it seems to work only for a room that is actually underground. I think
some context is missing as there is an extended meaning, and similar rooms
might be installed anywhere, even on a ship. Do we have a word for "brig"?

Luckily Marc said that was *a* way to say dungeon, which implies there can be
others. As for the extended meaning, as your typical torture chamber is
associated with the typical dungeon, I think we can cobble something together
with the word {joy'}, maybe a {joy'meH pa'}. Further we could work in the word
{ngaH} perhaps. (Do we want to say "death by snu-snu" in Klingon?) I did find
an interesting word while looking up torture: {be'joy'}, but that's only half
the story.

mupwI'