[tlhIngan Hol] new words from DSC-subtitles (with minor SPOILERS)

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Tue Jan 9 08:32:00 PST 2018

Regarding punctuation, many of us use one or two angle brackets for that very reason.  E.g.

  <<Star Trek: Discovery>> lut mIrmeyvaD tlhIngan qotlhwI'qoq 'ang NETFLIX

  Netflix Releases Klingon Trailer for "Star Trek: Discovery" Series (Netflix press release)

The smaller guillemets, or angle quotes ( « and » ) look better but they sometimes don’t survive posting and re-posting via various email programs, showing up as alpha-numeric gibberish instead.

There is another problematic example of tlhegh known:  nugh tlhegh  (lit. "society rope") from the KCD novelization (was it used in KCD itself?):

  "Pok has yet to complete the Second Rite of Ascension. In the eyes of the
    nugh tlhegh he is still a boy."

This seems to mean received opinion  or acceptable behavior. (Compare the phrase "party line" in English.)  Someone once suggested that this actually refers to the line of six painstik-wielding warriors who form the gauntlet (i.e. the "River of Pain") a young Klingon must pass through during his/her nentay ceremony.

As for talking about mIr and tlhegh, there isn’t much in my notes:

(Okrand, HQ 5.1):  The usual term for proverb is vIttlhegh, literally truth rope and formed, no doubt, by analogy with mu'tlhegh sentence or, literally, word rope.

(Lieven, 9/2017):  Of course, it's [lut mIr] literal translation is 'story chain' or 'chain of stories' (parallel to the lupwI' mIr, train from TNK) … Besides, it was not a message, Okrand was sitting next to me and said "do it this way"."

--Voragh

From: tlhIngan-Hol On Behalf Of nIqolay Q

We don't really know a lot about how Klingon deals with referring to words as words. At the very least, ​I feel like you'd want some sort of quotation mark: {Dop "Say'" "lam" je.} (Just out of curiosity, is there some other punctuation accepted by the Klingonist community to indicate quotations besides the "? It kind of mixes in with the qaghwI'mey.)​
    [….]
I'd be interested to know a little more about the different ways {tlhegh} and {mIr} are used metaphorically. {mIr} is used in {lupwI' mIr} "train" and {lut mIr} "series of stories", and seems to mean "related things connected sequentially". {tlhegh} is used in {mu'tlhegh} "sentence", {vIttlhegh} "proverb", and {yutlhegh} "scale, spectrum", and seems to be a bit more abstract, and isn't used as a standalone word in those metaphorical compounds. Are there any more uses of these words from canon?