[tlhIngan Hol] new words from DSC-subtitles (with minor SPOILERS)

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Mon Jan 8 13:02:43 PST 2018

The use of {Dop} may work in parallel <g> to {Don} and {leD}:

(De'vId < MO, 11/16/2014):  While {Don} means "be parallel," {DonHa'} does not mean "be perpendicular." It means something like "be misaligned." The word for "be perpendicular" is {leD} and it's normally used with a plural subject: {leD rav tlhoy' je} "the floor and the wall are perpendicular (to each other)".

(De'vID, 11/19/2014):  The reason I asked [Okrand] about {Don} is that it's defined as both "be parallel" and "go parallel to", suggesting it can either take a plural subject (?{Don rav, rav'eq je}) or an object (?{'entepray' Don Qo'noS wa'}). He answered with {leD}, which he explained is normally used with plural subjects (implying it doesn't take an object). Does that make {Don} and {leD} a pair of words which one might expect to be parallel, but actually aren't quite - that is, as if they were misaligned ({DonHa'})? :-) I think that's part of the joke."

--Voragh