[tlhIngan Hol] ngIq and numbers

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Fri Jan 5 13:07:34 PST 2018

I’m not sure.  {ngIq} has been used in sentences with numbers, but not in the way you want (if I understand what you’re trying to say).  E.g.

  ngIq tonSaw' lo' SaD law' San chenmoH qeylIS wej boghbogh nuvpu' San chenmoH
  In one single move, Kahless decided the fate of thousands, and those to come.  PB

  ngIq raQ – 200 QaS, mon – 200 QaS loS raQmey je
  Outposts cost 200 each; capitals, 200 each plus 4 outposts.  MKE

  ngIq gholvaD vaghmaH QaS yInob
  Pay each player 50 forces.  MKE

  ngIq gholvo' wa'maH QaS yItlhap
  Collect 10 forces from every player.  MKE

Since {mIw} means “procedure,  process;  step,  stage (in a process)” –  sequential by nature – why not just say {loS mIw luSIQlu'}?   Note there’s also a separate verb {quq} meaning “happen simultaneously”:

  quqtaHvIS wanI'vam raQDaq pawta' qotar qempa'QeH je
  At the same time Kotar and the *Qempa'keh* arrive at the camp. PB

And don’t forget the adverbials  {nIteb} "alone, acting alone, on one’s own, etc." vs. {nItebHa'} "linked, (acting) united, side-by-side, etc.”.

--Voragh

From: mayqel qunenoS

I was wondering whether we could say:

{loS ngIq mIw luSIQlu'}
four individual processes someone endured

Meaning "four individual processes one after the other".

What puzzles me is using a number in conjuction with {ngIq}.
Could this be done ? Is the above sentence correct ?

~ nI'ghma