[tlhIngan Hol] Two negations

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Mon Jan 1 07:59:42 PST 2018

On 1/1/2018 7:46 AM, mayqel qunenoS wrote:
> I just realized something..
>
> In english you say "I didn't do anything"
> In greek we say "I didn't do nothing"
> In english you say "I don't know anything"
> In greek we say "I don't know nothing"
> In english you say "I don't go anywhere"
> In greek we say "I don't go nowhere"
>
> I'm certain that you, being native english speakers, find the above
> greek phrases strange/wrong.
>
> On the other hand, I, being greek, find the english phrases strange/wrong.
>
> maj.
>
> The question is, why should I -in klingon-, write {vay' vIqaSmoHbe'}
> instead of {pagh vIqaSmoHbe'} ? Why should I write {vay' vISovbe'}
> instead of {pagh vISovbe'} ? Why {vogh vIjaHbe'} instead of {pagh Daq
> vIjaHbe'} ?
>
> Why should I follow the english way of expressing the above, instead
> of the greek ?

Apparently I can no longer reply to the list on my phone.

Klingon works like English: double negatives cancel each other out into
a positive.

*wej Heghchugh vay', SuvtaH SuvwI'*/
A warrior fights to the death./ (TKW)
(Not *wej Heghchugh pagh...*)

*batlh Heghlu'chugh noDnISbe' vay'
*/An honorable death requires to vengeance./ (TKW)
(Not ...*noDnIS pagh.*)

*naDev vay' vISovbe'
*/I don't know anybody here/ (CK)
(Not *naDev pagh vISovbe'*.)

*qeylIS'e' lIjlaHbe'bogh vay'
*/Kahless the Unforgettable/ (SkyBox S8)
(Not *qeylIj'e' **lIjlaHbe'bogh pagh*.)

And probably more.