[tlhIngan Hol] elephant

kechpaja kechpaja at comcast.net
Wed Feb 7 10:03:23 PST 2018

On Wed, Feb 07, 2018 at 11:05:16AM -0500, SuStel wrote:
> On 2/7/2018 10:53 AM, Lieven L. Litaer wrote:
> > Am 07.02.2018 um 16:46 schrieb Felix Malmenbeck:
> >> Isn't the Qa'Hom shown in Star Trek: Klingon a ligonian titmouse
> >> (lIghon Qa'Hom), though? It's probably similar to a Kronosian Qa'Hom,
> >> but it might differ slightly.
> >
> > I'm not sure that it IS one, but the accompanying file says:
> >
> > "little animal (eg, ligonian titmouse)"
> >
> > "eg" usually stands for "example". I won't try to interpret.
>
> And a "Ligonian titmouse" might just be a Ligonian creature that
> /resembles/ a *Qa'Hom* as a cat resembles a *vIghro'.* There's really no
> point in trying to pin it down. At least we know something about what a
> *Qa'Hom* is. You tell me what an *'er* is first, and then maybe we can
> come back to this. :)

Since there are a number of non-native English speakers on this list,
and nobody has mentioned it yet, I think it bears pointing out that a
"titmouse" is a bird, not a kind of mouse. I suspect that {Qa'Hom} can
refer to a much wider variety of creatures than the small rodents that
one might picture after hearing that {Qa'Hom} was used to translate
"mouse".

 - SapIr