[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: Dop

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Tue Feb 13 08:10:49 PST 2018

Klingon word: Dop
Part of speech: verb
Definition: be opposite, antithetical, contradictory
Source: Email from Lieven 2018-08-01

(Lieven < MO, 1/08/2018):  For parallel universe, I'd go with {'u' quq}, using {quq} "happen simultaneously, be simultaneous". {quq} is okay for 'parallel' (in this sense). Just as a parallel universe can't exist by itself (there has to be a universe - presumably ours - that it's parallel to), a simultaneous universe can't exist by itself. In both cases, you can refer to one universe at a time - you don't always have to mention both (or several). For mirror universe, I suggest {Dop} "be opposite, antithetical, contradictory} (yes - this is a new word). If they're not making a real distinction between parallel and mirror (that is, if they're using the words interchangeably), I'd stick with {quq}.

 (DevID < MO, 2/10/2018):  To sort [i.e. {patlhmoH}] a list of English words alphabetically (or reverse alphabetically) use constructions like {wa'DIch A, HochDIch Z} or {wa'DIch Z, HochDIch A}.  ... And to the question of whether *{yoymoH} could be used for reversing a list, he replied: "No. Use {DopmoH} "cause to be opposite".

SEE ALSO:
yoy 		be upside down (v)
tlhoch 		contradict (v)
Sar 		be varied, various (v)