[tlhIngan Hol] Expressing "all of us"

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Fri Feb 2 10:46:57 PST 2018

On 2/2/2018 1:14 PM, mayqel qunenoS wrote:
> Perhaps, using the time-honored-qeylIS-approved method of writing in a
> retarded-multiple-sentence-way, even if it is in order to say the
> simplest things, is indeed the way to go..

Oh please. What's simple in one language is not necessarily simple in
another. The very fact that we have multiple forms of "sentence as
object" shows that Klingon is perfectly comfortable with multiple
sentences. Canon like *'uSDaj chop; chev* for /chew his arm off!/ shows
you don't even need a special grammatical structure to do it. Every
simile does this.

COMBINING MULTIPLE SENTENCES IS *HOW* KLINGON DOES SIMPLE.

The problem you're having isn't that what you want should be simple and
it's not; it's that one language has a tool the other doesn't and you
miss it. How would you say *SuQomtaH* in Standard American English
(that's the newscaster variety)? (Hint: SAE has no /y'all /or /youz/.)
Can you say it as simply as the Klingon? In Klingon, it's three
syllables. In the simplest and most precise SAE translation, not losing
any meaning or adding any ambiguity, I count twelve syllables.