[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: peD

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Thu Feb 22 10:00:41 PST 2018

Thanks for checking.  Now I know when the next person asks!

--Voragh

From: tlhIngan-Hol [mailto:tlhingan-hol-bounces at lists.kli.org] On Behalf Of nIqolay Q

On Thu, Feb 22, 2018 at 11:17 AM, Steven Boozer <sboozer at uchicago.edu<mailto:sboozer at uchicago.edu>> wrote:
Klingon word: peD
Part of speech: verb
Definition: snow, fall slowly (like snow)
Source: TKD, qepHom 2017

  peDtaH 'ej chIS qo'
  (Dutch magazine "Oor",  Nov-Dec 2011, p.39: "Fifty Words for Snow" by Kate Bush)

[Someone refresh my memory:  Was this example supplied by Okrand?]

For ages I thought it was just some random unknown Klingonist, but apparently it was Okrand after all!

[Update, 11/24: Marc Okrand confirms via email that he indeed is the source of the Klingon line. He explains that peDtaH 'ej chIS qo' means "It's snowing and the world is white." Okrand is thanked in the liner notes (with the Klingon expression of gratitude, qatlho').]

http://languagelog.ldc.upenn.edu/nll/?p=3558​

As for Stephen Fry's pronunciation of the line in the actual song... well, he's gonna want to bring his universal translator if he ever visits Qo'noS.