[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: peD

nIqolay Q niqolay0 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 22 09:28:34 PST 2018

On Thu, Feb 22, 2018 at 11:17 AM, Steven Boozer <sboozer at uchicago.edu>
wrote:

> Klingon word: peD
> Part of speech: verb
> Definition: snow, fall slowly (like snow)
> Source: TKD, qepHom 2017
>
>   peDtaH 'ej chIS qo'
>   (Dutch magazine "Oor",  Nov-Dec 2011, p.39: "Fifty Words for Snow" by
> Kate Bush)
>
> [Someone refresh my memory:  Was this example supplied by Okrand?]

For ages I thought it was just some random unknown Klingonist, but
apparently it was Okrand after all!

[Update, 11/24: Marc Okrand confirms via email that he indeed is the source
> of the Klingon line. He explains that *peDtaH 'ej chIS qo'* means "It's
> snowing and the world is white." Okrand is thanked in the liner notes (with
> the Klingon expression of gratitude, *qatlho'*).]

http://languagelog.ldc.upenn.edu/nll/?p=3558​

As for Stephen Fry's pronunciation of the line in the actual song... well,
he's gonna want to bring his universal translator if he ever visits Qo'noS.