[tlhIngan Hol] info from Maltz about {boQwI'}

nIqolay Q niqolay0 at gmail.com
Sat Feb 17 11:09:31 PST 2018

Got a pretty good crop of puns in this batch.

*jIyweS* ("translation, gloss"): "g" + "loss"

*nompuq* ("authority, evidence, attestation, reference, citation"): I have
a convoluted solution here. A familiar phrase on Wikipedia is "citation
needed". "Wiki-" comes from a Hawaiian word meaning "quick". "-pedia" looks
like the ancient Greek root for child, as in "pediatrician" (and is
ultimately derived from the ancient Greek word for "child"). "Quick" +
"child" = *nompuq*.

*Ho'DoS* ("system, method, manner, technique"): While poking around for
this pun, I came across the etymology of the word "method", and found this
word
<https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/%E1%BD%81%CE%B4%CF%8C%CF%82#Ancient_Greek>
from Ancient Greek: ὁδός (hodós), which can mean "the way, means, or manner
to some end, method." We don't get a lot of puns based on Ancient Greek.
*vIparHa'!*

*ghu'lIS* ("entry in a list"): The *-lIS* is probably there to make it
similar to the existing *natlIS* "last item in a list", but other than that
I'm still stuck.

Also, last month I commented:

(One thing I've noticed with Okrand's recent puns is that when he provides
> multiple glosses for a word with a pun in it, if the pun is related to an
> alternate meaning or use of one of those glosses, it'll probably be the
> word he lists first. Look at the order of glosses in the original
> description of *'oDtu'*, for instance. Don't tell him I said that though
> or he might start switching it up.)

He switched it up! *vIbollu'pu'!*