[tlhIngan Hol] Adverbiality and the verb {Da}

demonchaux.aurelie demonchaux.aurelie at gmail.com
Wed Feb 14 03:53:44 PST 2018

Thank you all for you replies and feedback on adverbiality in the past few days.
For the sentence “he fights bravely” I’ve listed all the possibilities based on your suggestions:
He fights:SuvSuvtaHvISSuvDI’
Bravely:yoHyoHwI’ ghaHyoHwI’ DayoHwI’ rur
This gives us 24 possible combinations that we can choose from depending on the actual nuance of meaning we are aiming for. I’m not going to do an in-depth analysis of each one - although that would be interesting.
Just a few notes:yoHwI’ rur : I think this one could be used if the apparent bravery is surprising, for instance a known coward is fighting in a brave manner, thus resembling a brave one.
yoHwI’ Da: I’m interested in the <noun> + Da structure because it offers the potential to convey many additional layers of meaning, in just 2 words:
loDvaD jatlh ghaH, vavHom Da : He spoke to the man in a fatherly tone (vavHom: could be “father figure”)
loDvaD jatlh ghaH, vavHomqoq Dabej : He certainly spoke to the man in a paternalistic tone
Thus we have the possibility of using both noun and verb suffixes to refine the meaning in a very compact manner.
It is even better with the {verb-wI’} + Da structure!Suv ghaH, SuvlaHqu’wI’na’ Dachu’ ghaHHe fought, acting perfectly as a true master of fightingWe can have {verb - vb suffixes - wI’}-(noun suffixes) + Da-(vb suffixes)
It might be overkill, but an adjective and/or relative clause could also be added to the mix (‘ej DaH jIjatlhtaHvIS, Hol vutwI’ vImojlaw’. ;) )
Suv ghaH, Heghrupbogh SuvlaHqu’wI’na’ qan Daba’ ghaHHe fought, obviously acting as a true old master of fighting, ready to die
Perhaps all these possibilities are what mayqel was imagining earlier? :)
ghItlhjaj
Envoyé depuis mon smartphone Samsung Galaxy.
-------- Message d'origine --------De : Felix Malmenbeck <felixm at kth.se> Date : 10/02/2018  03:25  (GMT+01:00) À : tlhingan-hol at kli.org Objet : Re: [tlhIngan Hol] Adverbiality and the verb {Da}

[Sorry for the spam; accidentally sent this off prematurely.]

It makes perfect sense to me, but to be on the safe side, you can use -DI' and -taHvIS to connect the sentences:

{SuvtaHvIS tlhInganpu' Da!} - "They fight like Klingons!"

{vaj HeghtaHvIS tlhInganpu' Dajaj!} - "Then they can die like Klingons!"

{bangwI'vaD jIjatlhtaHvIS jIbIt.} - "I spoke nervously to my beloved."

{jISupDI' jISoy'.} - "I jumped clumsily."

In paq'batlh, the author often uses {X-DI' Y} or {X-taHvIS Y} to express things like "They X:ed in a Y:ish way." where the English uses adverbs.

For example:

bIjatlhDI' bIval
"You speak wise words."

ghoStaHvIS
 tam ‘ej So’

"They
 sneak and they creep"

qachvam
 vIcheghDI’ charghwI’ jIH

"I
 will return to this house victorious"

jInaS jImupDI’

I don't have the English
 translation handy, but it was something like "I will strike viciously."

che'taHvIS val qeylIS 'ej yoH

Qapqa' tlhIngan tuqmey

'ej yaymey Dun chav

"The Klingon tribes flourished