[tlhIngan Hol] ghob'etlh

Felix Malmenbeck felixm at kth.se
Tue Feb 13 11:55:16 PST 2018

> I'm not sure using ghIlo'meH for "glommer" is a more significant sin. (It does help if you explain what a "glommer" is,

> just in case some people are not totally familiar with esoteric Klingon lore.)

The word *ghIlo'meH* (has it been canonized?) has rather an interesting origin. As far as I can tell, it began its journey in the book Star Trek: Forged in Fire, where the author decided to "klingonize" the word "glommer" as *glo'meH* (which violates ordinary syllable structure in exactly the same way that "glommer" does).

Then *glo'meH* was used as an English word in How to Speak Klingon, which was then properly klingonized as *ghIlo'meH*.

It's essentially come about through a strange game of Telephone / Chinese Whispers ... but then again, I suppose that's true of much of language in general.

//loghaD